Stats

Sunday, November 14, 2010

Artist Morris Katz Passes Away

From Vos iz Neias:

New York - Eccentric artist Morris Katz, in a career spanning six decades, used toilet paper to create instant art - and a lasting legacy.

The Polish-born Katz, hailed in the Guinness Book of World Records as the world’s fastest and most prolific painter, died Friday after reportedly suffering a stroke. He was 78.

Katz’s motto, as detailed in a book and his worldwide appearances, was simple: “Paint it good, paint it fast and sell it cheap.”

Katz moved to New York with his family in 1949 and launched his unique approach seven years later - using only a palette knife and wads of toilet paper to produce his paintings.

The rolls of bathroom tissue were used to clean the knife or create shadings and shapes.

The artist was cited by the Guinness book after completing one painting - a child in the snow - in a mere 38 seconds. Katz sold more than 225,000 pieces of art in his career, setting another record.

I'm happy to say that one of the 225,000 pieces is property of the X family. About twenty years ago the X family was vacationing at Kibbutz Chafetz Chaim and Morris Katz was there. We saw how Mr. Katz created very nice paintings in no time, while keeping the crowd entertained with his gab and jokes. My wife wanted one, so we bought it.

Yehi zichro baruch!

2 comments:

rabbi neil fleischmann said...

You reminded me that I thought my mom might have once bought one - but I don't know where it is. I had the chance to buy one but was distracted, not only by his banter. Looking back, it would have been smart to realize that one day he wouldn't be here to crank them out any more and that it would be cool to own one of Katz' paintings. The last time I saw him I asked if he was trying to be on any TV shows and he said something like, "I'm the star - they have to try to get me."

This was a great post. I appreciate that you wrote it. I don't know how long it would have been till I heard about the loss if not for you.demiter

Cosmic X said...

Thanks Rabbi.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...