Stats

Thursday, February 12, 2009

The Sick American Jew

If you want to understand how the exile warps the Jewish mind, read this:
Legally, American Jews are Americans first. Their belief and identity as Jews is a private matter, one of free choice and volunteerism. The word "Jew" is not stamped on my passport. I have no legal status in America as a Jew. I am an American. As long as I remain an American citizen, my legal identity is that of my nation. If, for some reason, there were to be a conflict between my legal status as an American and my private status as a Jew and a Zionist, my loyalty as an American would come first. If I did not believe this, I might fall into Pollard's trap. Jonathan Pollard should have realized that as much as Israel and the US have in common in terms of long-term goals, the first allegiance of an American Jew is to America - not to the Jewish state.

THE POLLARD AFFAIR should serve as a reminder to American Jews that, as Jews living in America, we are living lives not of dual loyalty but of dual identity. As far apart as is the chasm between Norman Podhoretz and Noam Chomsky in the realm of ideology, both men are legally Americans. The Satmar Hassid living in New Square and the Jewish atheist who eats bacon for breakfast on Yom Kippur in Los Angeles are each Americans. As an American, I have more in common with an American of African descent than I do with a Jew in Israel, even a Jew in Jerusalem who is from the same shtetl in Russia from whence my ancestors came.
The truth is that we are Jews before we are Americans. We are Jews before we are Israelis. We are Jews from the day we born until 120 years. We are Jews 24 hours a day, seven days a week. We are Jews inside our homes and outside of them.

By the way, the author of the article asks,
"Did not Jonathan Pollard realize this when he was committing acts of treason against America?"
The answer is:
Jonathan Pollard was never charged with treason. [Legally, treason is a charge that is only applicable when one spies for an enemy state in time of war.]

Jonathan Pollard was indicted on only one charge: one count of passing classified information to an ally, without intent to harm the United States.
The exile is our enemy.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I just read, the far right orthodoxy takes bribes of money to support Olmert for educational funding.

But you want to look outside of Israel for blame?

Maybe Israel's "real" Jews should look inward before casting stones.

It seems to be a really bad habit of Israels "real" Jews to judge all others(Jews and Gentiles) while dancing with corrupt leaders themselves, from before the days of Roman occupation until today. Like all other nations from history as recorded from Torah to the Gospel and modern history; successful nations, even the most "religious" fall from within eventually due to arrogance, pride and corruption within.

One of the greatest lessons I've finally begun to learn is no matter how well meaning the religious right is at times, even it becomes involved with corruption to look the other way when it is involved at highest levels of governments.

It is happening to America, Europe now. Our success is leading to eventual destruction as leaders believe themselves above God for answers. The Right claimed religion and now the Left is reclaiming it. Each side with its foibles and arrogance.

I keep hoping for a light to shine from Israel. But all I see is the same political corruption that is in this world, in America, in Europe.

The problem is not the "exile" anymore than it is within Israel itself.

I hold similar concerns in other areas of politics. It astounds me how any Jew could vote for Obama. But then, how could any gentile?

The problem as usual is spiritual both left and right in believing that any man of any political domain will solve our problems. Or that any political party will.

As much as I, a gentile agree with the Right and love Israel. I'm dismayed with the entire political process across all nations, including Israel. I'm surprised that a politically right, orthodoxy would cave in to work with Olmert.

The truth is that the physical battles taking place are only occurring due to the spiritual battle within Israel.

If Israel itself cannot make its mind up, how can gentile nations be expected to do so from the outside?

Shouldn't you address the inside of spiritual darkness first before looking outside?

I mean this with all respect. I truly hope Israel has peace one day and shines for all to see as G_d would will it to be.

Anonymous said...

I'm with you 110%, Cosmic.

I read that article yesterday, and it really made me mad when I read it. Don't get me wrong, I LOVE America, but my loyalty is with Israel first... because I'm a JEW.

I'm a JEW first. I daven shacharis, mincha, and maariv everyday.. I'm shomer shabbos, I keep glatt kosher Why? Because I'm a Jew first.

America has been a wonderful country to me, and I thank G-d everyday for the blessings that my family came here prior to WWII, so we never had to experience the Shoah...

With that being said, there is only one Jewish nation in the world where I know I am always welcome, and that is Eretz Yisrael.

So, had I been Mr. Pollard, I would have done the same thing in a heart beat. He did the right thing, and unfortunately, he embarrassed (and possibly implicated) a lot of Israeli and American politicians by providing information to the only truly loyal and dependable U.S. ally in the world.

Pollard isn't a traitor, he's a hero, and the shame of injustice hangs over the head of every U.S. president and Israeli prime minister who has failed to release him like he deserves.

And shame on the writer of this story for speaking so poorly about a man who loved his people enough to take the risk of saving Jewish lives. G-d bless Jonathan Pollard.

Cosmic X said...

Little Tree,

Thanks for taking the time out to comment.

The point of the post was how the exile has warped the Jewish identity of the author of the article that was referenced. Although there are problems of Jewish identity among some here in Israel, I believe that the problem is much worse in the diaspora, especially in America which has been such a kind diaspora for the Jewish people, at least since WWII.

Yes, we do have our problems in Israel. We do have corruption at the highest levels, and sometimes Orthodox Jews are involved. But that was not the subject of this post. If you search the over 1000 posts on this blog you will probably find posts that deal with some of the issues that you mentioned.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...