Stats

Thursday, September 04, 2008

Elul Thoughts #1






I thought that I would share with you all some Elul related thoughts. These are things that I think about, and I thought that others may also benefit from my contemplations:

The spiritual uplift that I will receive from the High Holidays is dependent on how much I invest in preparing for them. When I hear the sound of the shofar, it is, as the Rambam explains, a wake up call to return to God(Laws of Teshuvah ch. 3).

The trials and tribulations of life often prevent me from examining my ways. There is no time! I am too busy! However, I must find the time for introspection. Where am I, and where was I last year at this time? Where do I stand in regard to the commandments that guide the interaction between myself and my fellow man? Have I been good to my wife and my children. Is my behavior in monetary matters up to Torah standards? Have I done anything to help Klal Yisrael? How am I doing in terms of fulfilling the other precepts of Torah? I must examine my behavior! I have to make an accounting of what I have done from the time I get up in the morning until I go to sleep.



2 comments:

yaak said...

Thanks for your thoughts, Cosmic.

על כן יאמרו המושלים באו חשבון

It's the Yetzer Hara's greatest tool - by keeping everyone too busy to make a Heshbon Hanefesh.

Making one is the key to Teshuva.

Batya said...

important post, cos'

gmar chatimah tovah

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...